Monday 19 November 2012

A New Look, a Big Thank You and a Pop Culture Convention

Alright so you may have noticed my blog page is looking a little different some might say its looking a little snazzier ^_^. That is entirely due to the magnificent Miss Samantha Jane and I can not thank her enough, she is so incredibly talented and did a fantastic job I could not be happier.  Be sure to check her out her button is just there on the side ^_^. Also a massive thank you needs to go to my bestest friend in the whole world Miss Sarah Cree for the drawing she did of me for my birthday which now sits proudly atop my blog as well as on the wall above my PC. Thank you ladies you are both creative geniuses and are definitely going to go places! ^_^

Now on to the event of the year (well in my calender any way) SUPANOVA Brisbane 2012!!!!
Despite the rain on the first day it was fantastic!!! The caliber of cosplayers was outstanding! As to be expected due to the amazing John DiMaggio being there, there were quite a few Finn and Jake's (Adventure Time) and even Lumpy Space princess made an appearance. What was surprising though, despite the presence of not only John DiMaggio but Billy West, was the lack of Futurama cosplayers. Through out the entire two days I only saw two Leela's, one of whom was fantastic though I some how managed to not get a picture of her lol. If anyone found more Futurama cosplayers I want to see pictures ^_^.
What was truly awesome though was the growing Star Trek presence. Almost every stall had something Star Trek related to sell which had Bradley practically peeing his pants with excitement. There was also the best Borg cosplayer I have ever seen! 
As always the 501st battalion was there (Stormtroopers) looking as awesome as ever. There was also a Lego Millennium Falcon that makes mine look like a cheap toy. 
Other cosplayers that deserve mention, were an unbelievable Pyramid Head, more Slendermen than I could shake a torch at and probably my favorite cosplayer in Supanova history A.W.E.S.O.M-O.

Despite what some people might think Supanova isn't just about dressing up and looking at "toys" (although that is one of the best parts). They manage to get bigger and better stars every year. They started off on a pretty high note at with Will Wheaton, Oliver and James Phelps (The Weasley twins), Summer Glau and Morena Baccarin at the Gold Coast Supanova in April. 
Brisbane though saw Tom Felton (Draco Malfoy) which is almost as good as having Daniel Radcliff but not quite ^_^, James Masters (Spike from Buffy), teen heart throb Luke Perry, Nelsan Ellis (Lafayette, True Blood) Cassandra Peterson (Elvira, Mistress of the Dark), as I mentioned before the amazing talent that is John DiMaggio and Billy West and returning for a second time this year the amazing Morena Baccarin with whom I am madly in love with and got her to sign my copy of Firefly. She also turned out to be probably one of the coolest and down to earth people I have ever met and the highlight of my Supanova experience ^_^.  
Due to time table clashes I only managed to get to three Q&A's, Morena Baccarin, Cassandra Peterson and  John DiMaggio and Billy West, but all three were fantastic! 

So all in all it was a pretty fantastic year for Supanova. I will just say though I prefer it on the Gold Coast, the  Convention Center is the perfect location for this kind of thing, yeah the main floor is a bit smaller but having it there means we get that fantastic rooms for Q&A's in which every one is able to see the person speaking. It is also situated in the middle of Broadbeach so there is no shortage of good cheap food.

So ends another year of Supanova though it's only 5 months until the next one so we don't have to wait too long ^_^.

Keep an eye out for my next post, I'm going to go on a little artistic adventure so I shall have some awesome photos to share.
Be sure to check out all my other Supanova photos on my facebook, I will have my Penny Lane Photography facebook page up and running very soon. I also just joined the world of twitter so you can follow me at pennylane1961

I want to just add one last thank you to Apple maps for getting Bradley and I lost in the rain for 45 minutes looking for our hotel when it was essentially just across the road from where we left the train station so thank you Apple maps.

As always have fun and I will now leave you with my favorite photos from Supanova 2012, enjoy!








 







 

No comments:

Post a Comment